LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — As of 6:55 p.m. on Tuesday, the Arkansas Department of Health confirmed 232 COVID-19 cases throughout the state and two deaths.
On Monday, Gov. Hutchinson said the filing and payment deadline for individual taxpayers will be moved to July 15, but corporate filings will remain the same. This aligns with the federal filing deadline which has moved to July 15.
Dr. Nate Smith directed that hair salons, barbershops, tattoo shops and massage parlors should close in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Key facts to know:
- 232 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in Arkansas
- 1,230 total tests
- 998 negative test results
- 2 reported deaths
- All public schools are closed until April 17
WATCH MARCH 24 PRESS CONFERENCE HERE:
Tuesday, March 24
The Arkansas Department of Health is now reporting a total of 232 positive COVID-19 cases. There have been 10 total recoveries.
The Arkansas Department of Health reported a total of 230 positive COVID-19 cases. There have been 9 total recoveries.
Arkansas Secretary of Health Dr. Nate Smith said there is “very little evidence” at this time that chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine is effective to treat people who have coronavirus.
Dr. Smith said COVID-19 has the ability to strike down people of all ages, after saying the main risk factor of the two deaths was age.
With Arkansas being a more rural state, Dr. Smith expects a slow rise and fall of COVID-19 cases, which is a good thing.
Dr. Nate Smith provides a breakdown of Arkansas COVID-19 cases:
- 11 children
- 73 adults (65+)
- 134 (aged 19-64)
- 14 hospitalized
- 6 on ventilators
- 38 in nursing homes
- 10 recoveries
- 2 deaths (One person in their 50s, the other greater than 80)
Dr. Nate Smith clarifies that employers in Arkansas should NOT be requiring workers to be tested for COVID-19 before returning to work.
The governor said as long as the public and businesses follow the social distancing measures, he doesn’t see the need for a shelter-in-place order.
According to Gov. Hutchinson, since the first death was reported at noon, a second death has been reported.
He said Arkansas received 24 palettes of personal protective equipment from the national strategic stockpile at 2 a.m., which includes over 27,000 N95 masks.
The general assembly is urged to begin their session this Thursday in Arkansas to address the budget shortfall because of COVID-19.
Faulkner County coroner Robert Edwards said a 91-year-old man is the first person in Arkansas to die from the coronavirus.
This is the state’s first known death due to COVID-19.
The Arkansas Department of Health updated its website to report that there are now 218 positive COVID-19 cases in the state.
There are now 206 positive COVID-19 cases in Arkansas with over 1,100 tests total.
So far, there have been seven recoveries from the coronavirus in the state.
The following counties have at least one confirmed case of COVID-19:
- Benton County
- Boone County
- Bradley County
- Clark County
- Cleburne County
- Cleveland County
- Columbia County
- Craighead County
- Crittenden County
- Cross County
- Desha County
- Faulkner County
- Garland County
- Grant County
- Greene County
- Hempstead County
- Independence County
- Jefferson County
- Lincoln County
- Pike County
- Poinsett County
- Polk County
- Pope County
- Pulaski County
- Saline County
- Sebastian County
- Searcy County
- Sevier County
- Union County
- Van Buren County
- Washington County
- Woodruff County
We will continue to update this article with new information as it becomes available.