Governor Asa Hutchinson announced Monday that all Arkansas public schools will be closed for the remainder of the school year, but online instruction will continue.
Hutchinson thanked teachers and students for hanging in there, but he made the decision to suspend on-site instruction for the rest of the school year based on health concerns.
Students will continue to attend school through online instruction with alternative methods, such as AMI days.
Education Secretary Johnny Key said for the remainder of the year, the focus should be on math, literacy, science and social studies.
“Understand that there is additional stresses on families created by this health emergency and it will impact our students,” said Key. “This is a time for support and learning and less emphasis on compliance.”
Key said the state is working to determine if the closure of schools will impact the next school year.
There will still be free pick-up and delivery meals available to students at the discretion of each school district as long as the follow C.D.C. health guidelines.
Previously, Hutchinson announced schools would be closed until April 17 and would further evaluate the need to extend the closure.
Key facts to know:
- 927 confirmed positive cases of COVID-19 in Arkansas
- 13,264 total tests
- 12,337 negative test results
- 16 reported deaths
- 139 recoveries
- All public schools are closed for the remainder of the school year